Spice recently went through few weeks of “I’m going to be a picky pants and not eat any of the cookies I used to like.” I needed a solution fast so I could keep up our carrot stretches every day…since at his age…even a day of not stretching makes a big negative difference in his way of going. I went back to my old cookie recipe I made up for Titan years ago and made some adjustments based on what Spice likes…namely peppermint!
Spice’s “I’m so Picky” Peppermint Cookies*
– 1 cup molasses
– 3/4 cup brown sugar
– 1 1/2 cup flour (coconut flour works for extra shine or other alternative flours are great too)
– 1 1/2 cup wheat bran
– 3 cups of oats (horse or human grade…doesn’t matter!). I used rolled oats.
– 1 cup water
– 1/2 cup oil (flaxseed, rice bran, soybean, corn – whatever works best for your horse’s dietary needs). I used rice bran.
-peppermint candies or other favorite goodies to put on top of the cookies.
– Mini Muffin Tin – (I have a HUGE one that makes 48 at a time).
– Hand or stand mixer.
– small spoon for putting batter in pan
*Batter makes 48 mini-muffin sized treats
Bake at 375 degrees for 12 – 17 minutes.
Once cool enough to touch, remove cookies from muffin tin to cool further on cooling rack. Add peppermint candies or other special treat to top of cookies while still cooling. Note, if you add the peppermint while the cookies are too warm, they will start melting (which will still taste great…but will be messy). Don’t put them on before you put them in the oven to bake either!
I made a batch without peppermint and with peppermints and both were equally well received at the barn.